NPR President: Federal Funds Are Critical
March 8, 2011

National Public Radio President and CEO Vivian Schiller appeared at the National Press Club on Monday to make her case against Republican efforts to cut federal funding for public broadcasting. Schiller's visit came after two Republican senators last week introduced a bill that would defund the Corporation for Public Broadcasting. Schiller noted that while government grants make up only about 10 percent of NPR revenue, that money is a "critical cornerstone of public media" and it would hamper NPR's efforts to raise other funding if it was removed. She also said it would hurt listeners in rural areas who may not have access to other news sources.

"We take this very, very seriously, it would have a profound impact, we believe, on our ability… to deliver news and information," Schiller said during a question and answer session, according to the Huffington Post. "If in fact federal funding were cut… then we would be going backwards and retreating on this 44-year investment that the American people have made in this incredible institution."

In prepared remarks delivered at the National Press Club, Schiller explained the impact that a funding cut would have on rural areas.

"This money is particularly important for stations in rural areas. Their government funding is a larger share of revenue -- 30 percent, 40 percent, 50 percent or more," she stated. "These are areas where listeners may have no other access to free over-the-air news and information. Modest as it is, government funding is critical because it allows taxpayers to leverage a small investment into a very large one. It is seed money. Station managers tell me that 10 percent plays a critical role in generating the other 90 percent that makes their broadcasts possible. The fact that we have four sources of revenue -- listeners, philanthropy, corporate and government -- helps ensure that public media is not beholden to any one source of revenue. Indeed it is through this diversity of funding that we are able to maintain our journalistic independence."




 
Breaking News
Warner Music Group Reports Fourth Quarter & Full Year Results
Coleman Insights Names Jessica Lichtenfeld as Associate Consultant
December 7, 2015
iHeartMedia-Indianapolis Names Brad Polston Market President
SFX Entertainment Rebrands As LiveStyle, Inc.
Lux Moves to Morning Drive at NOW 96.3/St. Louis
Alpha Media Names Chelsea Thomas New Morning & Middays Host/MD For WDJX/Louisville
December 6, 2016
Cumulus Media Lafayette Names Scott Chiasson VP/Market Manager
Capitol Music Group Promotes Jeff Temske To SVP/Streaming, Strategy & Research
Jeff Kapugi Exits WUSN/Chicago & CBS Radio VP/Country Programming Post
iHeartMedia Atlanta Debuts DJ Scream & Hoodrich Radio Broadcasted On 92.3 & 96.7 The Beat
WMMR's Preston & Steve Camp Out for Hunger Receives Record-Breaking Food Donations
December 5, 2015
Delilah To Be Inducted Into NAB Broadcasting Hall Of Fame
Interscope Records Continues to Roll in 2016
Liz Morentin Named Executive VP/Comms and Media At Warner Bros Records
December 2, 2016
CBS Radio Elevates Tracy Brandys To SVP/Market Manager & Director/Sales, Baltimore
WKST/Pittsburgh's Stuff A Bus Fills 57 Buses With Toys For Toys For Tots
Dan Dalton and Roc Nation Form Management Partnership
December 1, 2016
iHeartMedia Launches On-Demand Streaming Services
105.1 The Bounce/Detroit Announces On-Air Lineup
November 30, 2016
Alpha Media Names Ronnie Stanton VP/Programming
WNFZ/Knoxville Helping Fire Victims
November 29, 2016
Warner Music Group Names Ole Obermann Chief Digital Officer & EVP/Business Development
iHeartMedia Names Bob Neumann SVP/Programming For Savannah/Hilton Head
Music News
Greg Lake of Emerson, Lake & Palmer Passes Away
Beyoncé Leads 59th Annual Grammy Nominees
FMQB Retro-Active: Ken Sharp Revisits the Iconic Album Pet Sounds, and Delves Into New Music with Joyous Wolf
Quick Hits: Lady Gaga, Forecastle Festival, Ryan Adams, We Rock with Standing Rock concert
The Weeknd's Starboy Rises to the Top
Quick Hits: Justin Bieber, Guns N' Roses, Carolina Rebellion & Welcome to Rockville, Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve With Ryan Seacrest
Prince Documentary, Celebration on the Way in 2017
Quick Hits: Alessia Cara, Lady Gaga, Dead & Company
Quick Hits: J. Cole, Bon Jovi, Grouplove, Kid Cudi, ABC's Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve
Metallica Earn Sixth #1 Album on Billboard 200
Quick Hits: Taylor Swift, Rock On The Range, Kelly Clarkson
Quick Hits: Grammy Hall Of Fame, Soul Train Awards, Guns N' Roses
Justin Bieber and Drake Top 2016 American Music Awards
Quick Hits: Bruno Mars, Adele, The Weeknd, Chance The Rapper
Quick Hits: Kanye West, The Weeknd, Coldplay
FMQB NOW

Ross Mahoney, PD
KXTE, Las Vegas



Question Of
The Week

Advertisement:
Search FMQB.com
Advertisements:
FMQB Member Login
Email:
Pass:

Save
Not a member yet?
Sign up Now!
Sign Up for Breaking News!
Enter FMQB E-Tracking!