NY Post: BMG Rights Management Preparing For EMI Bid
October 23, 2012
BMG Rights Management is expected to be a leading bidder for Universal Music Group's sale of EMI's former assets, but according to today's New York Post, the company's owners are at odds on how best to approach a deal. BMG Rights is a partnership between KKR and Bertelsmann, but the Post notes that "traditionally, buyout king KKR has been more cautious than Bertelsmann, the German media giant."
Sources tell the paper that the results of the EMI assets bidding could determine the future of BMG Rights. If BMG wins big in the EMI auction, it could essentially double its revenue and increase its standing in the music industry. However, if BMG's bidding fails, "KKR could head for the exit."
UMG is expected to kick off the EMI in the middle of November. BMG is reportedly interested in acquiring the Parlophone label, as well as the Virgin and Famous publishing assets.
BMG Rights Management was formed in 2009, with KKR holding 51 percent of the company and Bertlesmann holding the other 49 percent. "KKR’s deals are usually four to five years and then they’re out, it’s not what they do," one music industry source told the Post. Another source said that KKR could "start looking for an exit within 12 months." However, executive sources close to KKR suggested to the paper that any talk of such an exit is simply speculation.