Report: 242 Million Americans Listen To Radio Each Week
February 6, 2014
Nielsen has just released a new report called State of the Media: Audio Today How America Listens which highlights the power of audio in the United States.
Here a few hightlights from the report:
* More than 92% of everyone in the United States age 12 or older listens to radio each week; that accounts for over 242 million Americans.
* The majority of radio usage comes from the employed audience, away from home. Over two-thirds of the weekly audience (62%) works full-time, meaning they have money to spend and are reached just before they decide to shop.
* 65.2 million Millenials use radio each week. That’s more than 90% of America’s most connected consumers tuning in.
* Radio’s most engaged demographic, as judged by the time spent with the medium during the week, are the Boomers who tune to radio for more than 14 hours every week.
* Country was the number one format in America last year, followed by News/Talk, Pop Contemporary Hit Radio, Adult Contemporary and Classic Hits to round out the top 5.